Sunday, June 8, 2008

A little about Shannon...


Where are you from originally? Born in Fairbanks, Alaska, but raised in Puyallup, WA - but am an Eastern Washingtoner (is that a word?) at heart - Go Cougs!

What brought you to your first yoga class?
Curiosity & Burn Out from other forms of exercise and it's continued stress on my knees and other joints....mainly curiosity is what made me search the web for a Yoga Studio in Spokane...which brought me to 2 websites....I found City Yoga and the rest is history!

What was your experience?
Both challenging, intimidating, and yet not overwhelmingly so....just enough that it continued to peak my curiosity.....how long would I have to do it before my wrists no longer hurt in downward dog? would I ever be able to hold chaturanga? could I stick with it? would it be enough?

Do you participate in any other kind of consistent physical exercise?
not really, when it's nice I'll go for walks with my son Sam (2 1/2) and dog Riley (9).....we used to play recreational co-ed softball, volleyball, and basketball....but ever since I had Sam it's mainly ALL YOGA....

What are you reading right now?
LOTS of books - too many at once, I'm trying to get in all these differ net pregnancy books (32 weeks right now) in preparation for hopefully a natural birth this time around, but also am trying to start "The Glass Castle" both out of personal interest and book club selection....And trying to finish "The Yogini" - loaned out by a yoga student so I can pass it on to the next yoga student :-)...

Do you have a hobby or interest that you have that we don't know about?
Ooh that's a good one, seems it's changed as my life changes....I could say bookkeeping & report writing since they are now my side job and because Yoga used to be my hobby and I quit my corporate gig to devote more time to my Yoga practice, teaching, and raising a family...but now accounting work doesn't sound like a very fun hobby....right now i enjoy a good nap, look forward to the sun shining and when we get to go to the lake and hang out with friends and family on and off their boats....someday maybe we'll have our own, but until then thanks Mom & Allie and the McCarry's!!! In the winter, I have to say it's watching Sam and Mitch build snowmen in the backyard and Sam trying to ski for the first time at Mom and Allie's cabin - he is so much fun! You can just watch him play and use his imagination and get lost in it with him...he is amazing! My next hobby will be nursing his baby sister Molly when she joins us in August....but then you probably all know about this....

Shannon teaches regularly at City Yoga and is also the bookkeeper extraordinaire!

0 comments: