Monday, November 5, 2007

More reporting from Mysore...

(photo from AYRI.ORG)

Dear Katie and friends at City Yoga,
Mysore ... it's worth the price of admission. Although I wouldn't want to be here when it's at the 250 - 300 level of practitioners. Now there are less than fifty. Among them a couple from Olympia, a guy from Victoria and another from Nelson; small world. This morning there were only about 35 in the shala. It's hard to know exactly since some start at 5AM and others come later, on the half hour. My start time is 5:30 and I have been arriving early and when I enter the shala's foyer, Saraswti motions me to come in so I really start around 5:15. The air is moist and warm most of the time. I brought a travel alarm with a thermometer and I have not noticed it less than 78 degrees in my room. This makes for me a very easy warm-up. I share the ground floor of a house (the family is upstairs) and have a short walk (about 53 steps) from my front gate to the shala. Everything urgently necessary is within easy walking distance of the shala. The local people are wonderful; friendly, helpful and very outgoing and the food is fantastic. Papayas are in season as are pomegranetes, local apples and the ubiquitous bananas ( maybe five different kinds). Part of the reason there are so few people here now is that Guruji is not usually adjusting during practice (I've only seen him once - the day I registered) and Sharath is off teaching workshops in Japan, Hong Kong and later in Goa. So Saraswati is running the morning practices by herself. But, I haven't seen that it is a problem. She has an eagle-eye and watches everyone closely. It's hard to hide something from her watchfulness. After my first Mysore practice last week, she asked me as I was leaving if I did my back-bending. I said yes and she said "but no dropping-back". I said no. Then she said, with a smile, "from Monday, you are waiting and dropping back. Any pose you want help, you wait, I will come." Friday, the end of the week here (Saturday is a holiday) and Sunday, the beginning of the week, are Led Primary Series days. So today was "my" Monday and I was a bit apprehensive about the dropping-back. However, as I practiced this morning I observed her assist a man taller and much heavier than I. Saraswati is a small woman, but very strong. She uses no props, only her hands at your hips and away you go. She softly led me into the activity. My down and back up went well. Afterwards she said, with a twinkle in her eye, "Tomorrow you are doing two times." The time difference from here to there is 12 hours plus 1 1/2 hours ahead of Spokane time. So, when you-all are starting a Monday night class in Spokane I am just finishing my Tuesday morning practice and sending greeting home via the closing mantra. Afterwards I head to the coconut stand opposite the shala entrance for fresh coconut water and early morning chit-chat with folks from all over the world drawn here by the same ashtanga magnet. Hare Om, Lars

0 comments: